Monday, March 16, 2009

Stupid lemon glaze cake

So normally Chad and I don't really do a lot for each other's birthdays. Last year though I did a little more than normal. I had planned a dinner with some friends and bowling with both of our families. Then on his actual birthday we had our nephews spend the night and had another little party. You want to know what he said at the end of all that? "I didn't have any lemon glaze cake for my birthday."

Are you kidding me? It's not like he didn't have cake. In fact I think he had three different cakes, but none of them were his favorite cake.

So this year, I wasn't going to fail again. I had come to the conclusion that as long as I had lemon glaze cake nothing else really mattered. I decided I would make the cake in the castle-shaped bundt cake pan that Chad registered for when we got married. It kind of has sentimental value for us, so I thought it would be cute.

I went to Williams-Sonoma to buy a lemon bundt cake mix and bought the lemon glaze too. I made the cake exactly like the directions said. I buttered and floured the cake pan really good to make sure the cake would turn out. This was the end result. On the right is the pan I used, and on the left is the outcome.

Not only did I basically have to take the cake out of the pan in handfuls, it didn't even taste very good. It didn't taste like I messed it up, it just wasn't that good.

I went to bed that night pouting because it didn't turn out. Chad tried to make me feel better. This is how the conversation went. (Before you read on you need to know that earlier that day Chad's mom called to say that she wanted to bring over the lemon glaze cake that she made him)

Me: That cake was SO disgusting. That freaking sucks.

Chad: Honey, I loved the cake.

Me: If you loved it, how come you didn't eat everything you dished up.

Chad: I was full from dinner. I swear I loved it.

Me: Stop lying Chad. I ate the cake too and there is no way that you loved THAT cake.

Chad: Well...I loved it because you made it for me.

Me: Whatever. I hope you enjoy the cake your mom made for you tomorrow. From now on, you can have birthday brownies. No more lemon glaze cake!

I know I'm a baby but that is seriously how the conversation went down. No more lemon glaze cake for me!

3 comments:

Amy said...

Allison Kim are you 5 or 22!?! Although I must say that my reaction would have been similar. That is part of the reason that I just don't bake. Ask David when the last time I baked him something for his birthday was! He will probably say that I NEVER have and that would be accurate I think. I MAY have made him caramel brownies one year but I can't recall for sure. Chad is just lucky that you cared enough to try. Normally your cake turns out fine. Hopefully GeorgeAnne's will be nasty too!

Katie said...

I love when stuff like that happens. Nothing can validate your cooking skills like a complete disaster! It's the thought that counts, and if its any consolation, my hubby gets a B&R ice cream cake every year! At least you get points for trying

Jill Smith said...

Okay, I had to laugh because I think every wife has to go through this sometime in their life. I remember making a Martha Stewart 7 layer carrot cake for Ron when we were first married and it turned out the same way and I swear I spent 5 hours making it! Never again!!! I'm sorry you had to go through that, but trust me we've all been there (except Amy, I guess) :)